Doug and Deb

Monday, April 19, 2010

Grandma Florence Speelmon

When I was growing up my family always went to Grandpa and Grandma Speelmon's house for Christmas Eve and had a BIG family gathering with all my cousins, aunts and uncles. I remember the wonderful feasts that Grandma prepared. They consisted of fried chicken (the most delicious fried chicken ever! from their own farm chickens that they had raised and harvested), potato salad, and other kinds of salads and festive foods, and hot homemade rolls & breads, etc. We always had a talent show put on by the grandchildren that seemed to delight Grandpa and Grandma. Then the cousins (and unmarried aunts and uncles) exchanged gifts from the names that they had drawn (or been assigned). My mom always read a fun Christmas story to the group of kids gathered around her knee while the adults sitting in the background listened. Sometimes Grandma & Grandpa would get someone (a neighbor or most likely Uncle Lee) to ring sleigh bells nice and loud outside so that all the kids would be scared stiff that they were going to miss Santa if they didn't get home and get to bed. (Actually this was a great way for Grandpa to prevent any interference with his customary bedtime of 8:30 sharp.) So everyone dashed to their cars and sped home, and the kids went to bed in a hurry! This Christmas Eve gathering was the thing I missed most at holiday time when I grew up, married, and moved away from my family. I would often cry on Christmas Eve when I knew that everyone was at Grandpa and Grandma Speelmon's in Idaho carrying on this tradition of joy and I was in Utah missing it. My longing for this special time in my life always made me want to make Christmas Eve a special time for my own family to enjoy a good meal and do something to make family memories. We have followed through with the talent show on Christmas Eve when we could and have had some great laughs and memorable shared experiences. We always have some delicious food - but never again have I eaten fried chicken that could in any way compare to Grandma's.

Grandma Florence died on April 3, 2010 at Aunt Ramon's home in Taylorsville, Utah where she has lived for the last 9 years. She was laid to rest in the West Jefferson Cemetery in Mud Lake, Idaho on April 7, 2010.

Thank you Grandma Florence for helping make my childhood one of happy memories and feeling safe and secure among many who loved and protected me.

No comments:

Post a Comment